(Yes, believe it, rosemary in a cookie! More on that below.)
I promise, I promise, we will get to this interesting cookie. But first, I have to tell you about what's been happening!
I may be a day late but not a dollar short for sure! Tuesday this week sped by in a flurry of activity with a lot of exciting things going on. For one thing the contractor and electrician are on board to install double ovens at Dancing Bee Baking, where double ovens have never existed before! Double and better than I’ve ever had! I’m in a state of shock that this is really happening. Thank you ERJ Construction for all of your help!
In addition, I completed the first ever, legal, licensed, approved cake order this past weekend! Having the first order under my belt makes me think that maybe my dream will really come true!
That all said, I do have a cookie for you this week.
As long as I can remember, I’ve made cookies that came from cookie contests and were published by one of the big baking ingredient manufacturers, and that’s what this week’s cookie is all about. While I whine (with or without cheese) as much as anyone about the advertising I’m pummeled by constantly on line, on the radio, on TV, I do admit that many of my recipes have originally come from the advertising on product bag or box or the product’s site on the internet. One of the more useful forms of advertising, truly!
This week’s cookie was published by Gold Medal (Flour) and came from Sarah Louise Wais. She won acknowledgment at the DuPage County Fair (IL) with her cookie, as well as from Gold Medal.
And yes, it does contain fresh rosemary in the cookie dough as well as on top for decoration. And it’s wonderful, delicious and delightful. The slight bite of the rosemary and the tang of orange zest are just what the (cookie) doctor ordered to tame the sweetness of this basic drop cookie.
Here’s my version of the recipe, or click on this link: Orange Rosemary Drop Cookie at Gold Medal
Orange Rosemary Drop Cookies
By; Sarah Louise Wais, DuPage County Fair (IL)
Yield: (Base recipe) about 32-36
Cook Time: about 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 min
Volume Measure Weight Measure Ingredient
1 ½ cups 206 g Gold Medal AP Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
½ cup 111 g Unsalted Butter
¾ cup 148 g Granulated Sugar
¼ tsp Vanilla
1 tb 30 g Orange Peel
1 ½ tsp Rosemary, finely chopped
2/3 cup 82 g Sugar, Powdered
1 TB 18 g Orange Juice
Preheat oven to 3500F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add rosemary and zest and mix until blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended and a dough forms.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons on cookie sheets. (Alternatively, roll 1” balls or use a cookie scoop). Space cookies 2” apart.
- Bake for 10-12 min, until just brown on bottom. Cool for 2 min on cookie sheets then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Blend all glaze ingredients and brush, spread or drizzle on top of cooled cookies. Sprinkle rosemary on while glaze is still wet.
Yours in dancing bee sweetness,